I love tacos. They’re fun to make and fun to eat. Tacos are the perfect dinner for those nights you’d rather order takeaway. You simply lay out a range of different fillings and let everyone help themselves. My Tacos with Black Bean Salsa are no exception. In fact, they’re so simple it’s almost like you did order takeaway!
The simplicity lies in the fact that you make these tacos the week you have a big batch of my Black Bean Salsa in the fridge (at least, that’s what I do). Next, you simply add a bit of chipotle hot sauce to a jar of my Brazil Nut Mayo, slice up an avocado and viola! – Dinner is served.
I recommend using soft corn taco shells rather than wheat tortillas. The flavour and texture of the corn taco shells go really well with the creamy avocado, spicy mayo and meaty black beans. It really is a match made in heaven.
Another thing I like about corn taco shells is they are gluten free. For me, the occasional gluten free meal really makes my tummy happy.
So, next time it’s Taco Tuesday at your place give this combo a go and let me know what you think.
Tacos with Black Bean Salsa and Chipotle Mayo
1 batch of Black Bean Salsa
1/2 jar of Brazil Nut Mayo
Chipotle hot sauce of your choice
1 or 2 avocados (sliced)
1 packet of corn soft shell tacos
- Make the Black Bean salsa according to this recipe. Or, if you already have some in the fridge, take it out about 1/2 hour before you want to eat to take the chill out.
- Take 1/2 a jar of Brazil Nut Mayo from the fridge and put it in a glass or ceramic dip bowl. I don’t normally measure the hot sauce by quantity, rather I go by taste. As a guide, I always put at least 1 teaspoon of chipotle hot sauce into the mayo. But it’s really up to how strong you want the smokey flavour to be. I would suggest starting with a teaspoon and then having a taste. If you feel like it needs it, add a little more hot sauce then taste again. Keep going like this until you have the desired heat and flavour.
- Drizzle your sliced avocado with a little lemon juice to stop it from browning then put them on a plate for people to help themselves.
- Once your fillings are ready to go, you simply need to heat up the soft shell tacos on a hot, dry pan. Once it starts to colour on one side, flip it over and heat the taco through on the other.
- It’s time to build your taco! Put a good dollop of Chipotle Mayo onto your nice warm taco shell and spread it around with the back of your spoon. Now, put a good couple of tablespoons of Black Bean Salsa in the middle of the taco then top with a slice of avocado. Fold the ends of the taco in so you have a little pocket that’s open at the sides and dig in. Make sure you’re eating over a plate because this dish can get messy – but that’s half the fun!